The Rumor Mill
rumor \Ru"mor\, n. [F. rumeur, L. rumor; cf. rumificare, rumitare to rumor,
Skr. ru to cry.] [Written also rumour.]
- 1. A flying or popular report; the common talk; hence, public fame; notoriety.
- 2. A current story passing from one person to another, without any known
authority for its truth; -- in this sense often personified.
Note: I'm in the process of moving this from The AuelPage at Geocities to ECfans
because the Geocities site is being shut down temporarily whenever we exceed our
allocated bandwidth. Yahoo! Geocities says to expect to be shut down whenever
your site exceeds approximately 20-25 viewings a day (average site). This page
has been averaging about 30 a day alone. I'll be adding the latest Rumors I have
on file (and updating the look!) when time permits, since Rumors certainly didn't
stop flying after 1999! - Diane in Cincinnati
This is a collection of rumors gleaned from various sources around the
internet. I have not included every rumor passed on to me, since the same rumors
and slight variations continue, year in and year out, to appear in different countries
and different languages around the globe.
The purpose of this collection is not to help spread them, but to help show
how ridiculous some of them can be - especially when you put them all together.
If all of the following had actually befallen Jean, we'd have the material for
a really interesting story!
If you happen to come across one that isn't already represented here, please
email it to me and I will add it to our collection!
- There will be two more books. Apparently, Auel is trying to get Crown to
cough up more money.
- I heard she was ill - but that she was now back to work on the last two
- Last I heard, word was that Jean Auel has fallen victim to Alzheimer's Disease.
Apparently, someone was supposed to be ghost writing with her.
- All I have heard is that she is hard at work on number 5, apparently with
some revisions being due to recent archaeo/anthro developments.
- I do believe that there was a car accident or something.
- I have tried the usual sources in the UK and was told that only 4 were written
and published in the USA, and that the series was never completed because
they didn't sell too well there.
- Of late, I have been quashing the rumors that Ms. Auel is no longer among
us. Well, in fact she is. She is not divorced. She is still writing.
- I am told the likelihood of Books 5 AND 6 coming out at the same time is
strong. They will not, it is suggested, bring an end to the saga but rather
lead into a new series and a new era. It is believed the TWO books will come
out simultaneously, or one will be closely followed by the other, sometime
in the spring or summer of 1997. (I've been hearing for some time the speculation
of November 1997.)
BOOKENDS ~ Bruce Taylor - Judy Taylor ~ e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- I met Jean Auel this weekend at a writer's conference and I asked her for
news. She said she's very slow and she's had some major changes in her life
to deal with -- liking moving into a different house. She's actually received
letters saying "Are you dead?" But I AM working, she assures her readers.
The fifth book, incidentally will take place largely in the south of France
and the sixth in France, Italy & Spain. She is researching them together
since they cover much the same territory. email@example.com (David J. Loftus)
- "...she died before she wrote the last 2 books in the series."
I guess Jean Auel hasn't heard that she's supposed to be dead, as she's
currently working on a new book.
- I just got information from the president of Doubleday Canada that Jean
Auel's next book will be released in November 1997. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ask the Bookseller FAQ: It is our understanding that Jean Auel has suffered
a serious stroke and it is not known when, if ever, the next book in the series
will be published. It will definitely not be this year.
But, according to Ann Shayne from ProMotion,Inc/BookPage:
Not true, not true! According to Jean Auel's agent in New York,
Ms. Auel is very much alive and well and at work on her fifth volume of
Earth's Children. She had tea with President Clinton recently, in fact.
Her agent asks that we go online and spread the word that all is well with
- Bookseller FAQ correction:
The rumour about her stroke is false. We received the following information
from Jean Auel's son:
It appears that the fifth book will not be ready for at least
another year. Jean is my mother, and we speak often. She is very aware of
the anxious fans who want to read the next book (including me!). All I can
say is that she is healthy, happy, and working hard on finishing the book.
You might also check out a web page, written by a fan in Cincinnati. It
is very well done: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6293/auel.html
Much thanks to Kendall Auel for the information.
- I too, heard the stroke rumour in 1993.
- I had heard from a bookstore in Oshawa (Ontario, Canada), when enquiring
on Jean's next book, that she had died.
- I talked personally to the representative of Crown at the 1996 Frankfurt
Book Fair in Germany. And the answer to my inquiry about "when book 5 would
be published" was:
"Well, you know.... Mrs. Auel is a *very* rich woman and doesn't
need to write anymore."
Needless to say I didn't pursue the conversation after that one.
- There are so many people in my town that get together to discuss Jean Auel's
books. We are anxiously awaiting her 5th. We had heard she has cancer. Rumor?
- From what I have heard from people who work in various bookstores here in
Ottawa is that she has Alzheimer's and even though her research for the next
book is complete she has yet to release it for publication.
- I had heard that she had cancer.
- Don't know the validity of my information, as I do not personally know the
bookseller that my information came from, however, she too says November 1997
is likely, but says that there was a change in publishers, due to the aforementioned
problems, which is the reason for the delay.
- The gossip I heard was that she was going through a messy divorce, so the
books are tied up in red tape. But I didn't hear that from the most reliable
- The highly-anticipated fifth book of the Earth's Children tm series is due
to be on the shelves later this year. According to the publisher, we can expect
this book to appear around "late summer" ~ from Banamba's
- We heard that it had gone to the publisher, with a scheduled release for
this spring. Our area bookstores say they know nothing about it.
- Jean Auel's next book is expected to be out by the Fall of 1998 ~ newsgroup
- I too was hearing rumours about Ms. Auels death. ~ Kate Taylor - Toronto,
- The rumor from the book store I go to is that Jean Auel was having legal
confrontations and the book was tied up in court over something to do with
the research end of it. (They said something about the research she (Jean
Auel) had done was copied.) ~ Michelle Rollheiser - Camdenton, Missouri
- The (false) rumour that I heard regarding Jean M. Auel was that she was
going through a divorce, and that the fifth book was not going to come out
because her ex-husband had ghost-written the previous four and refused to
do the fifth (possibly the reason for the divorce). ~ John Moore - Dalton,
- Here's a doozy I picked up at my local bookstore. "Ms. Auel released the
5th book in Great Britian without the permission of her publisher, and the
release of said book in the US was tied up in the courts." Now isn't that
one to laugh over? ~ Melissa Ward - Ada, OK
- I called Thorndike Press's customer service line today and was told by the
representative (Nicole??) that Thorndike is no longer associated with Jean
Auel, and that Random House is now carrying her publications............hmmmmmm.
~ Stephen Stewart
(I believe Thorndike was only publishing the large text copies in
the US. Crown was publishing the 'regular' print hardcover books.)
- I'm hearing more rumors about the 5th book being published in Europe already.
Not so. At least two translations are in 5 volumes (French and Polish). The
Plains of Passage was split into two books because of the size in both
| Le Clan de l'Ours des Cavernes
La Valle des Chevaux
Les Chasseurs de Mammouths
vol 1 - Le Grand Voyage
vol 2 - Le Retour d'Ayla
| Klan niedzwiedzia jaskiniowego
vol 1 - Rzeka powrotu
vol 2 - Wielka wedrowka
- Here's one from Darlene:
I asked Barnes & Noble at their web site if they knew when the 5th book
would be out and this is the information they gave me:
Thank you for your inquiry concerning Jean M. Auel's next book.
We contacted Thorndike Press at 1-800-223-2348 and found her next book
will be released in March 1999.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please email us at
email@example.com . Or, if you prefer, you may call our Customer Service
Center at 1-800-668-7053 (outside the United States, dial 201-750-4426).
Customer Service Representatives are available to assist you 7 days a
week from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m., ET.
Customer Service Representative
Barnes & Noble
World's Largest Bookseller Online
AOL keyword: barnesandnoble
- I just asked at a bookstore and was told "this is strictly gossip, but..."
and he repeated the rumor about the divorce, but said she was delaying the
release because she didn't want her soon-to-be-ex-husband to get any of the
- I work in a book store in Athens, OH. and I contacted Crown publishing.
Crown will be publishing book 5 and book 6. Our sales rep. latest information
is the book 5 and 6 will be coming out at the same time in the fall of 1999
or spring of 2000. (Email dated Feb 99)
- I work in a book store and the manager went to an ordering bookfair last
week. The time frame of publication covered went from January 1999 to late
August of 1999 and unfortunately for myself and other family members who are
Jean Auel fans there was no mention made of a release date for her new book.
If she finishes her book this year it probably won't come out before late
November or December of this year. (Email dated Feb 99)
- I heard one too, from both Waldenbook bookstores in my town. They told me
that at least a dozen attempts had been submitted to the publishers and rejected,
that Mrs Auel had lost her writing ability and that there never would be a
- Found at another site and emailed to me in March:
My nephew works as an intern for the "Today" show helping to book
fill-in guests. Anyway, a few weeks ago he was browsing over an advanced
copy of the guests that have been pre-booked for a general time frame but
who are still not booked for a specific show. As he neared the bottom of
the list he came across Jean Auel's name (they're placed in chronological
order for the 1999 year). The date next to her name read "October-December"
and was underlined with a wavy line. The wavy line means that this time
frame could easily change but more importantly that they need to contact
Jean Auel's publicity agent around then to set a more specific show date.
Guest bookings usually tend to coincide with the release dates so my guess
is that you might expect to see the book out around that time as well.
- I was on an author's lounge chat room and was told that she died in a farm
accident, her hair got caught in some kind of machine.
- I heard that she has died and was buried in the fall of '97.
- I heard that Ms. Auel and her husband were going through a messy divorce,
and she was very upset about this, consequently, she moved to Australia, and
is now writing a book about the Aborigines, with no plans to continue the
Earth's Children Series. Isn't this ridiculous? And I got it from a Crown
- Last week I was at Barnes and Nobles and asked when Book 5 would be out,
and they informed me that it would be in their shelves in February 2000!!!!!!!
(Email dated April 1st...)
- When I asked about book 5 at our local bookstore.. .(a major chain) I was
told that Jean was in the midst of a divorce, that there was a legal battle
over creative ownership... (postponing the release of any other books until
a legal decision is made.. )That the publishers had gone to her home and were
told by Jean that if people would stop mailing her, emailing her and bothering
her in general that she would finish. (June Email)
Created by Diane in Cincinnati
Page Last Updated 2 January 2001